Pursuant to California Business & Professions Code §7159.3 (SB 2029), home improvement contractors must provide this notice.
Check Out Your Contractor
- Did you contact the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) to check the status of the contractor’s license?
Contact the CSLB at 1-800-321-CSLB (2752) or visit www.cslb.ca.gov.
- Did you get at least 3 local references from the contractors you are considering?
Did you call them?
- Building Permits—will the contractor get a permit before the work starts?
Check Out the Contract
- Did you read and do you understand your contract?
- Does the 3-day right to cancel a contract apply to you?
Contact the CSLB if you don’t know.
- Does the contract tell you when work will start and end?
- Does the contract include a detailed description of the work to be done, the material to be used, and equipment to be installed?
This description should include brand names, model numbers, quantities and colors. Specific descriptions now will prevent disputes later.
- Are you required to pay a down payment?
If you are, the down payment should never be more than 10% of the contract price or $1,000, whichever is less.
- Is there a schedule of payment?
If there is a schedule of payments, you should pay only as work is completed and not before. There are some exceptions—contact the CSLB to find out what they are.
- Did your contractor give you a “Notice to Owner,” a warning notice describing liens and ways to prevent them?
Even if you pay your contractor, a lien can be placed on your home by unpaid laborers, subcontractors, or material suppliers. A lien can result in you paying twice or, in some cases, losing your home in a foreclosure. Check the “Notice to Owner” for ways to protect yourself.
- Did you know changes or additions to your contract must all be in writing?
Putting changes in writing reduces the possibility of a later dispute.
Air-Tro holds licenses in C20 (HVAC), C10 (Electrical Contracting), C38 (Refrigeration) and C36 (Plumbing). That means we can handle all the utilities that HVAC equipment must connect to for proper operation. For more details check out our licensing and insurance pages.
Call Air-Tro at 626-357-3535 if you have any questions. We’d be happy to help.
How Can We Help You?
[dynamic-sidebar id=”Service Icons”]