When you hire a contractor for an HVAC job, you want to be sure that the contractor and his employees will follow appropriate health and safety precautions, will not compromise your home security and will do the job right without creating operational hazards with the equipment they’ve installed. Here are seven tips you can use to make the right choice when finding a contractor.
- Check the contractor’s state and local licensing. Contact the HVAC licensing board in your state to confirm licensing status. Reliable contractors will not hesitate to show you their licensing documentation.
- Get a bid in writing from your contractor. The bid should include detailed information on the scope of the work, the type of equipment and material to be used and the cost of the project. In most bids, any cost or time overruns are the responsibility of the contractor.
- Check at least three references among the contractor’s local customers. A contractor who has happy, loyal customers is the kind of contractor you want to do business with.
- Ask the contractor to get any necessary construction or remodeling permits. Contractors are more familiar with the permit process and will likely know exactly who to see for the permits.
- Make sure you completely understand the contract between you and the contractor. Ask questions as necessary, and don’t sign anything until you know what is required of both you and the contractor. After signing, any changes, additions or amendments must be made in writing and approved by you and the contractor.
- Understand any schedule of payments, due dates for payments and when the final payment must be made.
- Make sure the contractor uses NATE-certified technicians. North American Technician Excellence (NATE) is a widely recognized training and certification organization for the HVAC industry. NATE-certified professionals have demonstrated in-depth technical knowledge and proficiency and can be relied on to know their trade well.
Since 1969, Air-Tro Inc. has provided HVAC design, installation, repair and maintenance to customers in the greater Los Angeles area. Contact us today for more information on our company’s products and services and for personalized answers to your questions about finding a contractor.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about finding a contractor and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Air-Tro Inc. services the greater Los Angeles area as well as the metro areas of Riverside and San Bernardino County.