HVAC Terms to Give You an Edge When Talking to the HVAC Pro
Have you recently bought a new home and are looking for an HVAC contractor? Or are you considering replacing or upgrading current household equipment? If so, it might be time to learn some important HVAC terms. These will allow you to speak knowledgeably about your heating and cooling system with your contractor, and help you better understand how to take care of your sensitive heating and cooling equipment.
Helpful HVAC terms
- AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency). This is a measurement of your home furnace’s heating efficiency. The larger the AFUE percentage, the more efficient the equipment. A furnace with a 78 percent AFUE is capable of using 78 percent of its allotted fuel to heat your home.
- Compressor. Compressors located in air conditioners and heat pumps can be compared to the human heart, in that they are used to pressurize refrigerant and to pump it throughout your home’s HVAC system. They are generally located outdoors.
- Condenser coils. An air conditioner’s condenser coils are where the hot compressed refrigerant gas from the compressor condenses and transforms into a liquid before its pumped indoors. During this transition from gas to liquid, heat energy gets expelled into the outdoor air by a fan. In a home heat pump, the indoor coil acts as the condensing coil whilst in heating mode.
- SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). This rating indicates the cooling efficiency of different air conditioners and heat pumps. The larger the rating, the more efficient the equipment, and the more money you’ll save on monthly energy costs. The Department of Energy (DOE) sets a minimum SEER rating for heat pumps and split-system air conditioners at 13.
- Split system. This is an HVAC system that has some components located inside the home’s building structure, and other located outdoors. Split systems are generally considered more efficient, but must be matched for optimal efficiency.
For more information about helpful HVAC terms, or to learn about quality HVAC products and solutions, contact your neighborhood experts at Air-Tro Inc. We are a full-service all-in-one HVAC contractor professionally serving the Greater Los Angles area, including Riverside and San Bernardino.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Monrovia, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Egasit-Mullakhut/Shutterstock”