Standby Generator Will Stand By You When The Power Is Out
Choosing a standby generator for your home is just like selecting any major appliance: you assess what your needs are, and then you comparison shop before making a purchase. It’s really quite simple. Just because you’re buying a piece of emergency preparedness equipment doesn’t mean your choice has to be scary or difficult.
Are you thinking about adding a standby generator to the electrical system of your Pasadena home? If so, there are a few details you’ll need to consider before you make your purchase:
- Choosing a power level – Begin by determining how much power you will need in the event of an extended blackout. Do you need it to power one central air conditioning unit or two? How much of your electrical panel would you like to power? Your HVAC contractor can help you determine the answers to these questions if you’re not sure.
- Sound levels – Most units make about the same amount of noise as an air conditioner compressor. Try them out before buying, so you can be sure the unit you purchase won’t keep you up at night.
- Ease of use – Your generator should have an easily programmable interface to allow for hands-free operation that is user friendly, and be as automated as possible. In the event of an emergency, you won’t want to have to remember complicated procedures. You’ll just want it to work as quickly as it can.
- Warranty – A quality warranty is always a sign of a well-crafted appliance. It’s wise to compare warranties between products, to get the best value.
- Dealer network – Be sure that you can find a local well-trained and qualified dealer to supply service and maintenance as needed to keep your generator operating at its peak efficiency.
It’s always best to be prepared for whatever life tosses at you, and a standby generator makes an excellent addition to your emergency preparedness plan. For more expert advice about choosing a generator, or to discuss any home comfort needs, please feel free to contact the award-winning team at Air-Tro, Inc., serving greater Los Angeles and the surrounding area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Pasadena, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about standby generators, visit our website.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock