For those of you looking to seal the air leaks in your home, you should be aware of certain issues that could signify a larger problem. While you can seal smaller air leaks yourself, larger leaks should be tended to by a professional HVAC technician.
The search for air leaks should begin in either your attic or your basement. These are the locations in your home that will have the most sources of air leaks. The following areas should be inspected:
- Rim joists, the spot that cement walls join with wooden framing
- Windows and doors
- Attic hatch
- Plumbing vents
- Wiring holes
- Air ducts
In areas that are easily accessible, you will probably be able to plug air leaks with caulking. However, you should be sure that you focus on the larger leaks. By sealing the bigger sources of energy loss, you will see a significant reduction in the amount of energy that gets lost in your home.
While searching for air leaks, you may notice other, more serious problems. In some cases, you need to leave serious air leak problems for HVAC pros. The following are issues that should be handled by an expert:
- Excessive moisture in your insulation. Wet insulation could indicate that water is leaking from your roof into your attic.
- Rotting/moldy attic rafters and floor joists. This issue also tells you that have moisture problems. You definitely do not want mold growing in your home. Mold can lead to serious health problems for you and your family members.
- Dryer vents that are directing exhaust air from your home into your attic. Exhaust air should be going outside of your home, not into your attic.
- Not enough ventilation in the attic. Inadequate levels of ventilation in your attic will have a negative impact on the air quality in your living space.
When in doubt, leave the serious air leak problems for HVAC pros. At Air-Tro, Inc.we know how to get to the source of air leak issues. Contact us today for more information. We’d be more than happy to help.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about sealing air leaks and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Air-Tro Inc. services the greater Los Angeles area as well as the metro areas of Riverside and San Bernardino County.