Your home HVAC system must be given a considerable amount of attention if you are searching for ways to reduce the amount you pay on your utility bills. All components of your HVAC system must be in good condition and working efficiently in order to gain the biggest savings.
There are three key elements of a home HVAC system, they are:
- Source of conditioned air
In order to maximize your savings, as well as the comfort levels in your home, the efficiency of the above three elements must all be increased.
Increasing the efficiency of your heating/cooling equipment
On average, heating/cooling systems have efficiency ratings of 60 percent. This number is fairly low. However, with following advice, you can raise that number:
- Get your equipment inspected by a pro. Routine maintenance will ensure that your professional finds any minor issues before they turn into major problems.
- Replace your system’s filters. Dirty filters will negatively impact the airflow of your system, forcing it work harder. Filters should be changed monthly.
- Upgrade to a new system. Advanced system’s can operate at 98 percent efficiency, and will dramatically boost your energy savings.
Increasing your ductwork’s efficiency
Leaking ductwork will wreak havoc on your system’s ability to operate efficiently. Follow the advice below to get better performance from your air ducts:
- Repair disconnected ducts. Ductwork that has come loose will lose a ton of conditioned air. Ensure that all connections are secure.
- Seal leaks. Air leaks also lose conditioned air. Have a professional seal leaks for improved efficiency.
Increasing your system’s efficiency through your thermostat settings
Using your thermostat properly will keep your system running at its best.
- Decrease the workload on your system. By lowering the temperature just a few degrees in the winter and raising it a little in the summer, you will see a significant increase in energy savings.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostat’s will enable you to create a strict schedule for your equipment, ensuring that it only works when absolutely necessary.
For more help on increasing your the efficiency of your home HVAC system, contact the experts at Air-Trotoday.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, visit our website.
Air-Tro Inc. services the greater Los Angeles area as well as the metro areas of Riverside and San Bernardino County.