Summertime Electricity Costs Already Have You Running Scared? Put These Energy-Saving Tips to Work
Summer is right around the corner and Pasadena residents are bracing for the high utility bills that come with operating an air conditioner 24/7. If you’re worried about summertime electricity costs, these tips can help you conserve energy this summer and lower your utility bills.
- Schedule preventive maintenance on your air conditioner. Over the course of the long cooling season, your air conditioner becomes less efficient due to heavy use. An annual tuneup will ensure your air conditioner operates efficiently to save you money on your cooling bills.
- Check your air filter monthly and replace it when it’s dirty. A dirty filter prevents optimum air flow to your system and decreases its efficiency.
- Use heat-generating appliances at night. Your oven, clothes dryer and dishwasher generate heat, and using them during the heat of the day makes your air conditioner work harder to keep your home cool.
- Turn on your ceiling fans. The breeze they produce makes you feel several degrees cooler. Don’t forget to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Close the shades during the day. The sun shining into your home heats it up and makes your air conditioner work overtime to keep it cool.
- Seal air leaks in your home. A well-sealed home can improve your home’s energy efficiency by up to 20 percent. Use caulk to seal between stationary components of doors and windows, and install weather stripping between movable parts.
- Unplug. Many gadgets like phone chargers and small kitchen appliances continue to draw electricity even when they’re turned off. Invest in some power strips to plug your energy vampires into, and turn off the strip when you’re not using them.
- Replace your lightbulbs. Swap your incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs, which use up to 75 percent less electricity and last up to six times longer.
- Install a programmable thermostat. If used properly, a programmable thermostat can save you up to 10 percent on your utilities.
For more expert advice about lowering your summertime electricity costs, please feel free to contact us at Air-Tro, Inc., keeping Pasadena area residents comfortable year round since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Pasadena, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock