Ten Tips To Make Easy Work Of Hiring An HVAC Contractor
If you’re like most homeowners, the very thought of hiring a contractor can make you nervous. Everyone out there promises the best and most affordable service, but who will actually deliver it? To make the hiring process easier, here are 10 simple tips to guide your search:
- Know local requirements. All states have HVAC licensing requirements, and California is no exception. Be sure that you only deal with technicians who have current licenses.
- Gather referrals. Ask neighbors, family members and friends for referrals to contractors they’ve worked with in the past.
- Follow up. Contact a number of local contractors and ask them for references. Reputable professionals will happily provide them, and you should be sure to follow up.
- Look for no-obligation quotes. Anyone who pressures you into agreeing to hire them when you’re at the quote stage should not be trusted.
- Insist on a thorough evaluation. All reputable professionals will visit your home and perform a complete inspection before quoting a price or even diagnosing the problem.
- Get it in writing. Be sure to get all quotes in writing, and itemized. This protects you in the event of a future dispute.
- Compare costs and services. Call around and compare quotes against what other professionals are offering. This is a way to drive down the price.
- Increase your competitive edge. If the various companies you’re considering know you’re looking at their competitors, they may drop their price or sweeten the deal.
- Review the contract. Make sure the contract is exactly as agreed upon before you sign it.
- Go with your gut. You should work with someone who makes you feel comfortable. If you have a gut feeling–bad or good–go with it.
In Southern California, choosing the right HVAC contractor is easy. We at Air-Tro Inc. are proud to have earned the 2011 Contractor of the Year Award from the Air Conditioning Contractors of America, who generously recognized our commitment to providing customers with the best possible service at the best possible price. We offer no-obligation estimates, thorough home inspections and complete professionalism. Contact us to learn more or arrange service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hiring a contractor and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Air-Tro Inc. services the greater Los Angeles area as well as the metro areas of Riverside and San Bernardino County.