A Ductless Mini-Split System: A Unique Solution For Some Not-So-Usual Challenges
Ductless mini-split heat pumps offer a flexible heating and cooling solution in homes with additions, or houses that do not have duct-based climate control systems. They are very efficient, offering excellent heating and cooling power for relatively little electrical input. They make a cost-effective choice in instances where ducts do not exist, or where it is not possible or feasible to extend ductwork into a new room or building.
Here are some of the advantages of ductless mini-splits:
- They are small, making them ideal additions to tight spaces and space-limited rooms.
- They can be configured to provide heated and cooled air to single rooms.
- Multiple zoning capabilities are built into many ductless mini-split systems, allowing you to create up to four individually-controlled heating and cooling zones (or more) with a single outdoor handling unit.
- They are easy to install.
- You will not lose heated or cooled air through duct leaks the way you will with conventional forced-air, ductwork-based HVAC systems.
- They are safe and easy to maintain.
However, you should also be aware of their limitations in the interest of being an educated consumer:
- They have a considerable upfront cost (which can be partially deflected by choosing a contractor that offers customer financing options).
- Unit placement must be optimized to avoid energy losses and inefficiencies.
- Ductless mini-splits are often oversized (providing more heating or cooling power than the space needs), resulting in higher costs and wasted energy.
At Air-Tro, we help customers throughout the Los Angeles and Pasadena areas make wise, energy-efficient choices for their home heating and cooling systems. Our technicians provide expert system sizing and installation, taking the worry and guesswork out of purchasing one of these efficient and effective home heating and cooling units.
If you’d like to learn more about ductless mini-splits or want to have your home evaluated for a possible installation, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re happy to offer you the same high level of service that earned us the 2011 Contractor of the Year award from the Air Conditioning Contractors of America.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductless mini-splits and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Air-Tro Inc. services the greater Los Angeles area as well as the metro areas of Riverside and San Bernardino County.