Energy-Saving Tips For Your Pasadena Home
With busy lifestyles and competing priorities, homeowners looking for ways to save energy around the home want an easy-to-implement plan. Energy-saving tips that work in all seasons offer greater Pasadena homeowners an easy but effective plan for reducing energy consumption, lowering the carbon footprint, and saving energy year-round. Here are some energy-saving tips that will reduce how much energy you use around the home, and lead to more dollars in your pocket at the end of each month.
Best practices include:
- Setting the thermostat for savings. When the weather’s cooler, start with a temperature of 68 degrees when you’re home. At night, drop opens in a new windowthe thermostat even lower to 65 degrees. Following the general rule that lower temperatures help you save more, adopt an energy-saving setting that allows your family to remain comfortable. In the summer, employ an indoor temperature of 78 degrees to save energy, and raise the thermostat to 82 degrees at night. In all seasons, run the opens in a new windowHVAC blower fan on “auto,” so the units will cycle off once the home reaches the comfort setting.
- Lowering the water heater setting. Manufacturers and installers generally set water heaters to 140 degrees, but 120 degrees ensures adequate water temperature, while encouraging savings.
- Changing the air filter. Keeping opens in a new windowa clean air filter in your HVAC system ensures efficiency in all seasons, preventing dirt buildup in the HVAC system, as well as ensuring adequate airflow.
- Using less hot water – A few ways to lower water-heating costs include taking shorter showers, running full dishwasher loads, and using cold-water settings whenever possible when running the washing machine.
- Reducing electricity costs – Clothes dryers consume vast amounts of electricity. Opt to hang dry the laundry, or if you have one, use the auto setting to detect when the clothes are dry, causing the unit to cycle off.
- Operating a pool pump for savings. Limit how often you run your pool’s pump and save even more.
If you’d like to talk to an expert at opens in a new windowAir-Tro about more ways to save, give us a call! We’re happy to help greater Pasadena homeowners with energy-saving tips, air-quality solutions, and heating and cooling installations.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Pasadena, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, visit our website.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock