Ramp Up Furnace Efficiency With A Variable Speed Blower
Ramp up furnace efficiency in your Southern California home by upgrading to a variable speed blower. With chilly winters (but not freezing cold), a variable speed blower optimizes home comfort and energy efficiency with slow, even heating.
Variable speed vs. single speed
The blower is the furnace component that blows air through your home’s ductwork to your living space. For decades, there were only inefficient single speed blowers available for homeowners. With a single speed blower, air suddenly blasts from the air-supply registers when the furnace powers on. It remains in one speed (high) for the entire heating cycle. This is neither efficient nor comfortable.
A variable speed blower adjusts the amount of air flow to precisely match the heating needs of your home at any given moment. It begins in low speed, and slowly increases speed until heating requirements are met. A variable speed blower offers these benefits:
- Quieter operation: Have you ever needed to turn up the TV volume when the furnace powers on because of the noise from registers? A variable speed motor produces significantly less noise than a single speed blower.
- Even heating: Slower air flow translates into more even heating throughout your home.
- Intelligent technology: Variable speed blowers adjust their speed to account for air flow restrictions in ducts, filter resistance and the location of the furnace.
- Improved indoor air quality: By circulating air more slowly for longer time periods, more of your indoor air is cycled through the air filter, which increases indoor air quality (if you change or clean your filter as recommended).
- Furnace and energy efficiency: Variable speed blowers run in lower speed up to 90 percent of the time for moderate climates like homeowners in Southern California enjoy. Variable speed motors use up to 600 percent less electricity than single speed blowers.
- Zoning systems: If you have a zoning system in your home, you can get even greater efficiency and comfort by upgrading to a variable speed blower.
For more information about furnace efficiency, contact Air-Tro Inc. today. We provide service and installation for homeowners in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernadino Counties.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Los Angeles, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about choosing a contractor and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock