Five Best Houseplants for Improving Air Quality Monrovia, California
Tightly constructed modern homes may be energy efficient, yet the accumulation and recirculation of airborne contaminants can create indoor pollution levels that are far higher than can be found in outdoor air in many situations. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) offgassing from a number of household items and additional common sources of indoor air pollution all lower the indoor air quality (IAQ) within your home.
One of the simplest ways to improve your IAQ while beautifying your home environment is to keep certain houseplants in key locations within your home. Five of the best houseplants for improving air quality include:
- Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) – Common VOCs such as benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and xylene are absorbed by this hearty plant that requires little care and produces tiny white flowers.
- Aloe (Aloe vera) – Easy-to-grow, sun-loving aloe does more than just remove formaldehyde and benzene from your air; the inner gel is excellent for burns and can even be taken internally.
- Mother-in-law’s tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’) – The steamy and humid conditions present in your bathroom are perfect for this plant that is best for removal of formaldehyde offgassing from paper, cleaning, and personal care products often used within the bathroom.
- Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea sefritzii) – Shady spaces within your home allow this plant to thrive while removing significant amounts of benzene, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde likely to be offgassing from furniture and other household items.
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysantheium morifolium) – Colorful mum flowers are known to brighten a room when provided with plenty of sun, but in addition to their lovely color, they will also remove benzene present from VOCs in glue, paint, plastics and detergents.
If you live in the Greater Los Angeles area and would like to learn more about the best houseplants for improving air quality or receive information about any other home comfort issue, contact the friendly professionals at Air-Tro Inc. We have been “Keeping California comfortable since 1969!”
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Monrovia, California area about improving air quality, energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “KPG Payless2/Shutterstock”